Posted by Stacey Nerdin
on Sep 13, 2010 in Featured
| 12 comments
(for more Top Ten Tuesday posts, visit ohamanda.com)
For Christmas last year, I bought our family a Roku player. It’s a handy little box that streams content instantly through your home wireless network from services like Netflix and Amazon Video on Demand straight to your television. I wondered if the 75ish dollar investment was worth it, until I saw my kids rediscovering old favorites like Disney’s “Kim Possible” and “American Dragon.” My husband and I even caught up with some 80′s movie favorites during that Christmas break, and the present seemed entirely worth its weight. Netflix streams through other equipment and consoles too, including the Wii (which we now watch on as well). Here now are 10 Items (of the more than 200!) in My Netflix Instant Queue:
- All seasons of Avatar: the Last Airbender. My kids watch these fanatically. They know every episode, they quote the lines verbatim. They want bald caps for Halloween for their Avatar costumes.
- Musicals. Singin’ in the Rain, Into the Woods, Funny Girl, and more. Because life doesn’t get much better than having a musical on demand.
- Ponyo. Seriously the weirdest movie ever, but it’s kind of what Miyazaki is known for, isn’t it? My 3yo find this movie endlessly fascinating, and watches it nonstop.
- Up. Thank goodness this Pixar film is available to stream, because the 3yo scratched our DVD copy to oblivion. This is a perfect example of how Netflix Instant is like owning a gigantic -indestructible – DVD collection.
- All three seasons of Roswell. Does anyone remember this sexy alien show from the old WB? All the brooding, all the forbidden love, all the big, expressive brown eyes? Love finding it again.
- Young Einstein. Yes, occasionally I let my husband put his picks into the list, and this was one of them. We also have a slew of early Chevy Chase movies.
- Signs. I watched this M. Night Shyamalan movie with my girls when my husband was gone; I thought it would be fun to get good and freaked out with them one night over junk food. Well, the night ended up being a long one, as my oldest daughter had repeated nightmares. I’m not sure why it’s still in our queue – maybe I’ll leave it there as a warning to her (ie: ”I’ll make you watch that movie again if you don’t go to bed right now!”)
- Several seasons of Saturday Night Live. Because isn’t it so much easier to just skip through the stupid parts to get to the few, rare gems?
- The Land Before Time. Not the 3rd one or 8th one or 15th one – the REAL, ORIGINAL Land Before Time!!! The only GOOD one EVER made! Our kids squealed in absolute delight when they saw this was available – it was like finding a long lost (or deeply buried under a torrent of horrid sequels) friend.
- Food, Inc. This has been in our Instant Queue since we bought our Roku. I’m still too cowardly to watch it. Some day I will work up the nerve. I will.
*Disclosure: though I often do product reviews on my blog, I have no association whatsoever with either Roku or Netflix. In fact, I would provide a conditional “Buyer Beware” recommendation on the Roku, since we had some early problems with our player and it took some time with customer service to resolve. It’s been working great now for months, though.