*note: if you are not familiar with Celtic Woman, start by reading my review of their newest CD, Believe.
This week my husband and I were able to attend the Houston stop of the Celtic Woman Believe North American tour. It also happened to be our 19th wedding anniversary, which made the night extra special.
I have been a fan of Celtic Woman for a few years, and have seen their concert specials on PBS, but had never been to a live show. The evening was so powerful and enjoyable for me, I felt I needed to dedicate a few words to the experience and share with you FIVE REASONS YOU SHOULD SEE CELTIC WOMAN LIVE (if you ever get the chance):
1. They leave everything on the stage. I was so impressed by the level of passion, heart, enthusiasm and talent these ladies sustained through the entire performance. There was never a lag in the energy – every song, every movement, even every instance of personal commentary was shared with dedication and care. It really kept the night rolling along.
2. They play to the whole house. There seemed to be a conscious effort to acknowledge all the sections of our large audience, and it’s hard to imagine anyone feeling left out of the performance. It also felt that although we were in little ol’ Houston, Celtic Woman may have been playing for Madison Square Garden; nothing was toned down, we got the full superstar, entertain-your-socks-off treatment. I will say that if you can afford tickets in the first few rows of the theater, go for it. The ladies interacted quite a bit with these fans, and you could tell those seat-holders were thrilled.
3. The supporting “cast” is amazing. It’s not just the women of Celtic Woman who are oozing with talent. Their supporting crew includes a fabulous Irish dancer, a stellar bagpipe player, a handful of men on a variety of instruments (some traditional, even – spoons, Irish pipes, Celtic flute and drum, and more), and a wonderful supporting choir. They each get a chance to shine, and the display of their skills in highly entertaining.
4. The super-fans are awesome. We had a handful of “super fans” in our audience, as I’m sure there are at any Celtic Woman concert. These fans wore t-shirts and buttons and made a habit of regularly standing and cheering/screaming at the end of every single song. I found their energy infectious, and the women really responded to the adoration.
5. Violinist and fiddler Máiréad Nesbitt. Yes, I am dedicating an entire reason to ONE member of Celtic Woman, because…well…she’s my favorite! Every time she was on stage, my arm hairs stood on end. She is just so talented and her energy is so electric! She had a few serene moments during quieter songs in the concert, but most of the time she was onstage, she was dancing left and right, bounding up and down the risers, literally shouting out to the audience in whoops and hollers – all while playing pitch-perfect on her violin. She was such a joy to watch!
There are only a handful of Celtic Woman Believe North American Tour dates left, so – especially if you’re on the West Coast – check out this list and see if a Celtic Woman concert is in your near future! (you can buy tickets HERE)
And if you happen to miss this tour, don’t worry. Just keep your eyes out and try to catch Celtic Woman the next time they’re in the US.
*Disclosure: We were provided tickets in order to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are honest and my own.